Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Leek

I decided to have a day off today. I went for a stroll into Leek. I needed to do a load of washing and also I wanted a wander round. Leek is an old market town full of lovely old buildings.





I managed to have lunch at the Roebuck Inn, which claims to be the oldest building in Leek built in 1626. The lunch was a strange combination, I had a pork and stuffing bap, with roast potatoes and a yorkshire pudding with gravy, it was like a mini roast dinner.
I also found St Marys Church, however like most churches now, it was locked so I was not able to have a look round. I wondered around to another church and had the same problem. It is a real shame these days that you can't get into churches and have a wonder..

I did get a little lost and lose my bearings as I hoped to have a look at the James Brindley Mill, but I was getting foot sore and the other side of town. I was glad to get back to the boat as I was dying for a cup coffee…

Well the T’s are over tonight and we are moving the boat off the Caldon and back onto the Trent and Mersey. It is a short hop to the Macclesfield Canal and the journey continues north.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I missed the Leek part of the Caldon Canal as it looks extremely beautiful. The great news is I now have next week off and can join Steve for another weeks boating.
Have a great day on Wednesday with the T's.
Mags